The scorching heat of summer vanishes when the first raindrop touches the land. The thought of monsoon is filled with the musical sound of rain, dark sky, umbrellas, muddy roads, fallen flowers, and the chillness. Monsoon brings out the enchanting beauty of the earth and comes with all this happiness but it also brings hair issues along with it.
Hair is an important part of our physical appearance and haircare is a herculean job. Monsoon is the season when you have to take care of your hair the most. During the monsoon, the humidity in the atmosphere will adversely affect your hair. Itchy scalp, hair fall, frizzy hair, and dandruff are the common hair problems in monsoon. No matter what your hair problem is, there are some solutions for taking care of your hair during monsoon.
Oil massage your hair
During monsoon, your scalp will secrete extra oils and this makes it sticky and also prone to parasitic conditions. So always use oil with antimicrobial properties to protect your scalp. But don’t use a rigorous oil because your hair is already weak and massaging your hair firmly may cause hair breakage. Only use a little amount of oil to massage your hair gently.
Coconut oil is a suitable oil for the monsoon. It can deal with sticky and frizzy hair during monsoon. Mustard oil is also a good oil for the monsoon season. Heat the oil and apply it to your scalp gently. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which help to fight parasitic conditions of your scalp.
Wash your hair daily
Try to wash your hair daily. Your hair and scalp should be clean to avoid microbial infections. The humidity of the monsoon makes your hair and scalp sticky and smelly. Washing your hair daily with a strong shampoo may make your hair worse, so for daily use find a gentle shampoo appropriate for your hair type. Try to use a small amount of shampoo, because overuse of shampoo daily won’t be healthy for your hair.
Conditioning is also required. Use a leave-in conditioner to protect your hair from acidic and dirty rainwater. Also try to cover your hair, before going out in the rain.
Air dry your hair
Hairdryers are unhealthy for your hair. The constant hot and strong air blow will break your hair and also affect your scalp. Unless it is urgent to dry your hair, leave the hair to dry in air naturally.
Use a microfiber towel, so that the water is absorbed rapidly. Make sure that you dry your hair with a towel properly, and after that leave open your hair. Never tie a knot or comb your hair when it is wet.
Use the right comb for your hair
Combing your hair is very healthy for your hair. Combing increases the blood flow in the scalp and helps the hair to grow. Once the hair is dry part your hair to two sides and then gently start combing. Look out for tangles, if any take enough time to detangle them.
Pick a wide comb, so there is enough space for the hair strands, or else it will break your hair strands.
Now let’s see some of the common hair problems faced during monsoon and their solutions:
Dandruff and Itchy Scalp
Dandruff is a common hair problem during monsoon. Dandruff is due to different types of fungal and bacterial infections. Dandruff causes the itchiness of the scalp. Itchiness is also due to the dust getting collected in your hair due to the presence of humidity. Here are some tips to take of dandruff and itchy scalp.
1) Keep your scalp clean by shampooing and conditioning it daily. Use anti-dandruff shampoos and also use a gentle one to shampoo your hair daily.
2) Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial, antifungal properties and can be used to reduce the itchy scalp due to dandruff. First, dilute it in warm water and gently rinse it in your after shampooing.
3) Coconut oil, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil reduce the itchiness of scalp as it has antimicrobial properties.
4) Lemon, amla, or aloe vera juice and baking soda with water are applied to the scalp to reduce itchiness.
Shampoos containing zinc pyrithione and salicylic acid can reduce dandruff and itchiness of the scalp.
Hair fall is a serious problem faced during monsoon. If treated well we can get rid of it.
1) Use a gentle shampoo and a good conditioner. Conditioner is unavoidable because the amino acids in it take care of damaged hair and make the hair smooth.
2) A balanced diet can reduce hair fall.
3) Oiling your hair gives nourishment to it and also makes the hair strands stronger.
4) Egg masks can be used because egg contains a high amount of phosphorus, sulphur, zinc, and protein which helps in hair growth.
A paste of egg white mixed with olive oil and honey is applied on the hair strand from root to tip. Rinse it after some time.
5) Coconut milk can be used to give strength and nourishment to hair. It helps in reducing hair loss and also promotes hair growth.
6) The green tea bags are soaked in hot water and use this water to massage your hair and scalp gently. This enhances hair growth and reduces hair fall.
7) Beetroot juice is also used to reduce hair fall. It contains vitamins C and B6 and other minerals needed for hair growth.
8) Aloe vera is the most efficient home remedy for hair fall. The usage of aloe vera pulp boosts hair growth.
Frizziness of hair comes with the humidity of monsoon. To retrieve the smoothness of hair:
1) Use a wide-tooth comb, because combing frizzy hair with common combs can break the hair strands.
2) Avoid the usage of the dryer and other hair appliances on frizzy hair. It will only make the hair weak and prone to hair breakage.
3) Make a paste of two bananas and honey. Gently apply it to the hair and let it remain for an hour. Wash it with a gentle shampoo and dry it. This will help to increase the smoothness of the hair.
4) Use carbonated water to wash your hair. The low Ph content of carbonated water helps to reduce the frizziness of hair.
5) Use a beer bath to retrieve the moisture and smoothness of your hair.
6) Oiling your hair will also help to reduce frizziness.
There are many products available in the market now which helps you to take care of your hair issues in monsoon like dandruff-control shampoos, anti-frizz serum and keratin oils etc.
So, maintain a proper haircare routine , drink plenty of water, eat healthy, keep a happy mind and your tresses will be an eye catcher this monsoon!!